Friday, January 15, 2010

Random Recipe

So last night, I randomly decided to make a homemade apple pie. From scratch. On a Thursday night. At 7 P.M. When I have to work at 6 A.M the next morning.

My cravings really screw me sometimes.

But mmmmmhmmmmm, I can safely say I make the best apple pie ever. Trust me. It's ah-maz-ing. And I've never used a recipe, I just kinda developed over the years of being the designated pie maker for Thanksgiving and Christmas. How I got this responsibility, I'm not sure. But I solidified it for eternity with my awesome apple pie.

So here is my best attempt at my Apple Pie Recipe. Keep in mind I usually add things until it tastes perfect to me, so measurements may need + or -. (Good luck with the - part, that could be hard once you've added it lol).


The secret to my pie is the crust. Don't cheat. Don't use Pillsbury. It will take 5 minutes to make the crusts, and it is SO worth it. Trust me. So do it... do it now...


Pie Crust

1 1/8 cup flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. sugar

1 stick butter - cold - VERY cold - like put it in the freezer for an hour before you use it

3 tbsp. ice cold water (or possibly a little more)


In a KitchenAid (my fave, super easy), or in a large bowl, or in a Cuisinart, combine the flour, salt, and sugar. Cut up the stick of butter and add it to the mixture. Mix it up until crumbly. Add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it starts to form a crumbly ball. Then STOP mixing.


Use your hands and mash it into a ball. There will still be chunks of butter. This is good. We WANT those. After you make it into a ball (the nicer a ball you make it, the easier it will be to roll it out smoothly later) put it in a bag and stick it in the fridge.


Then repeat this entire process and make another ball of dough. And put it in the fridge.

I usually do this the night before I'm going to make the pie.


Perfect Apple Pie


You will need -


6 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored, and sliced

1/2 c. sugar

1/2 c. brown sugar

1/4 cup tapioca

4 tsp cinnamon

2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp allspice

3/4 cup water

2 tbsp. butter (use the REAL stuff - not margarine)

Mix everything but the apples and butter together in a large bowl and let it sit for about 15 minutes. (This is the time I use to peel and cut the apples.) Add the apples to the sugar mixture and stir well. The apples will be coated with yummyness!





Roll out bottom crust and put in 9 inch pie plate. (There will be chunks of butter in the crust when you roll it out - this is a GOOD thing - try not to melt them) Pour apple mixture into the pie crust and top with butter slices. Roll out the top crust and enclose the apples in the pie.



Cut slices in the crust and sprinkle with sugar. (You can also brush egg whites across the top to make it super shiny and pretty, but that's only if you're trying to impress a mother-in-law or one up a co-worker or something)




*Side note - yes this is the same oven I melted Olive Garden in. But notice, I DID finally clean it!*


Bake at 350 degrees for roughly 45 minutes. The crust will be golden brown and flaky, and it will smell AMAZING. Sometimes it has to bake a little bit longer, but don't let the crust get dark.


Take it out, let it cool a little bit, and enjoy it. Some people are into the a la mode thing. I'm so not. Ice cream totally ruins the amazingness of pie. In my opinion. But do what you want. Just don't flake out (pun intended) on the crust.

Hmm.. this recipe thing is easy. Maybe I'll do it more often :)

2 comments:

  1. Doing good til you go to the tapioca part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love to cook but have never tried apple pie before. i am definitely going to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete