Saturday, May 21, 2011

If The World Ends Tomorrow...

There seems to be a lot of buzz about this world ending tomorrow (or technically, now, today) thing.

First off, I'd like to make a couple of points about this:

*Despite the dramatics, no one is actually claiming the world will end tomorrow. They are claiming that the Rapture will happen tomorrow. That means that Jesus takes all his followers to Heaven, and everyone else will be left on earth for another 7 years before it is finally destroyed. So while we might be down a few family and friends, the world will still be here.

*I'm not a Bible beater by any means, but I do have a little bit of knowledge about this Christianity thing. And I'm pretty sure it specifically says in the Bible that no one knows when Christ will return. So, in my humble opinion, if you believe any of the Bible, you need to believe all of the Bible, and therefore, that means that if you believe the Bible that the Rapture will someday happen, you have to concede to really not having any idea when this is gonna happen. So basically, this whole thing is kinda ridiculous.

It has, however, given many people, myself included, the opportunity to reflect a little bit about what it would be like if this really was it. If tomorrow really was the end.

It made me think about all I've accomplished, all I want to, and all I should have. Not gonna lie, I'd be pretty pissed if I worked my ass off for my degree only to have it for a week before it didn't matter anymore. That would suck. :)

Mostly though, it made me think about who and what is important to me. Do they know how important they are to me? Do those people know how much I love them? Do my boys know that they are my whole world, and they make my life worth living? Do my friends know how much I respect and appreciate them? Does my family realize that, despite our many differences, I will always hold them dear to my heart?

The truth is... I don't know if people know this. But I want them to. I want to live a life that, if my world was to end on a moments notice, I would be okay with. I don't want regrets. I don't want what-ifs. I don't want people to wonder where I stand.

A lot of the time, I live in tomorrows. I assume there will always be time later to do things, tell people things, or make things right. But that's not always true. There won't always be a tomorrow. You can't bank on that.

So instead, I really want to live each day completely, and be able to live without regrets at the end of each day. I want the people who matter to know it, the things I do to be impactful, and the life I live to be exactly what I want.

So at the time my world really does end, I can face it head on without any regrets for how I spent my last days.

And since the world is NOT going to end tomorrow, I can start doing this today!

No comments:

Post a Comment